The Director develops and leads COMPASS’ strategy to connect scientists to policy dialogues. The Director oversees work to connect scientists to decision makers across scales in the United States (from local to federal); actively bridges the worlds of science and policy and prepares scientists to engage; contributes to organizational strategies and initiatives; helps raise funds to support COMPASS’ work; and supports an inclusive workplace culture of trust, excellence, risk-taking, and collaboration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- The Director leads the organization’s policy engagement efforts by developing strategies to connect scientists to policymakers across scales, from federal to local.
- The Director is a member of the COMPASS Leadership Team and actively supports efforts to help COMPASS be a high-functioning team.
- The Director contributes to organizational fundraising and outreach goals. This includes:
The ideal candidate must have:
- An ability to think strategically across the organization and to recognize or create opportunities that align with program or organizational goals.
- Experience managing program budgets, annual planning, and goal development.
- High-level connections within the U.S. federal and/or western regional policy realms and an ability to build and grow new networks.
- Experience designing and executing high-level briefings, workshops, or meetings.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering an inclusive working environment, as well as valuing and respecting efforts to broaden participation in science and policy.
- Strong strategic communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong grounding and experience in policy and science
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate has an advanced degree in the natural or social sciences, policy, non-profit administration, or other relevant discipline. The Director should have minimum 10 years experience working in policy, preferably at the intersection of science and the environment. A background in a non-profit with experience in fundraising and program and organizational management is preferred. Policy experience in federal or state government is also preferred.
Click here for more information and to apply.