Opportunity: ROV Manager, Schmidt Ocean Institute
Schmidt Ocean Institute is a U.S. non-profit private operating foundation established in 2009 to advance oceanographic research and catalyze open sharing of information about the oceans.
We bring together advanced science and state-of-the-art technology to achieve lasting results in ocean research, to catalyze open sharing of the information, and to communicate the resulting knowledge to audiences around the world. The Institute is devoted to the inspirational vision of our Founders that the advancement of technology and open sharing of information will remain crucial to expanding the understanding of the world’s oceans.
Title: ROV Manager
Department: Marine Operations
Reports to: Director of Marine Operations
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Deadline to Apply: March 27, 2016
Responsible for the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) fleet and ROV offshore work force aboard the Schmidt Ocean Institute research vessel FALKOR. This includes delivery of ROV equipment and personnel to support collaborative oceanographic research projects with scientists and researchers. Management of an offshore based technical support team to provide technical assistance and spares to the ROV fleet in a timely and commercially viable way. Develop working relationships with all staff and contractors. Oversee upgrades to the ROV fleet; specifications, design, build and integrate. Manage base refurbishment work of ROV systems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supply of ROV equipment to meet the science mission project requirements.
- Supply of ROV personnel to meet the science mission project requirements.
- Support to the purchasing department for ROV systems; strategic and critical spares.
- Technical and hands-on operational support to the ROV team, serving as a member of the shipboard ROV operations team.
- Technical support to the shipboard marine science technician team.
- Working with scientists and suppliers with regards to specification and suitability of ancillary data acquisition sensors, sonars, samplers and tooling equipment.
- Assist with the development and improvement of the ROV fleet.
- Oversee the integration of ROV equipment aboard Schmidt Ocean Institute’s research ship.
- Assist with the build and/or rebuild of new undersea vehicles and assist with Factory Acceptance Trials, Sea Acceptance Trials and Science Verification Cruises.
- Oversee the fitment of ROVs with supply of scientific sensors, samplers, sonars, tools, spares, etc.
- Assist department with equipment specification / selection as appropriate.
- Planning / scheduling of onshore and offshore ROV refurbishment, upgrades and testing works.
- Management of contractors to ensure timely order and receipt of equipment and services, as appropriate.
- Ensure as-built documentation and certification is in place for ROVs, upgrades and new system integrations.
- Ensure planned maintenance routines are updated to accommodate new or modified equipment.
- Ensure ROV operational processes and procedures are suitable and regularly updated.
- Manage ROV personnel training plans, personnel appraisals and ongoing development.
- Assist with ROV personnel competency scheme.
- Develop annual operating, maintenance and upgrade budget for ROV fleet and ROV personnel.
Experience and Skill Level Requirement:
- Appropriate trade experience and relevant degree/qualification.
- Previous technical experience in the ROV industry (academic research or commercial).
- Previous experience with ROV manning. • Previous managerial experience.
- Meets or exceeds the ROV Technician Job Description as defined in MATE Knowledge and Skill Guidelines for Marine Science and Technology Volume 3 – ROV Technicians http://www.marinetech.org/files/marine/files/Workforce/KSG_ROV%20techFINAL.pdf
How to Apply:
Send a letter of interest and a resume / CV to: email@example.com that clearly outlines how you meet the above requirements. References and background check will be conducted.