Communications Director, Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (Jun. 7)
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) seeks a Communications Director. This position reports to the President/CEO and directs the activities, personnel, and products of the Digital Media and Communication Strategies (DMCS) Division.
The incumbent is responsible for strategic planning related to MBARI communications and digital media management, and works with the MBARI Management Team to review policies and procedures in support of MBARI’s mission and non-profit status. The Communications Director works closely with researchers and engineers to produce and disseminate information on MBARI research and technology development, and oversees the annotation and curation of digital and video media and related data. In addition, the Director works with MBARI’s President/CEO, Chief Financial Officer, Science Chair, Director of Engineering, and Director of Marine Operations to communicate information about major institutional events, such as high-profile research findings, upgrades to MBARI’s facilities, research vessels, etc. to the MBARI Board of Directors, Packard Foundation representatives, and the public.
Specific oversight duties include:
- Video quality control, annotation, and access
- Video equipment maintenance (software and hardware)
- User training for digital and video image processing
- Institutional archives for information, images (video, photographs, illustrations), scientific samples
- Quality control for platform (e.g. ship, ROV) navigation data
- Institutional library services
- Educational activities (such as MBARI intern program and seminars)
- Institutional events
- Collaborative projects with the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- MBARI’s internal and external communications, such as websites, social media, annual reports
- Supervision and mentorship of assigned staff.
Prospective applicants should send a cover letter, resume, names and contact information of four professional references, and a work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below:
MBARI, Human Resources
Job Code C-DIR
7700 Sandholdt Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
For more information, click here.