Opportunity: Marine Biology Instructors at Broadreach
The marine biology courses focus on hands-on study in the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Fiji, British Columbia, South Africa, and Costa Rica. While each course has a slightly different focus, all of the courses combine experiential education, practical application of skills, labs and field survey techniques, along with cultural activities, service learning and adventure activities. This is a great opportunity to teach in the field and inspire youth in the field of marine biology and conservation.
Broadreach programs are limited to 12 students per program and are led by a team of two to three instructors. Program instructors live and travel with students 24/7 for weeks at a time, so a high level of energy and enthusiasm is necessary along with strong leadership and communication skills. Our programs range from 12 to 31 days and can be mentally and physically challenging for students and instructors, so a positive attitude is key.
Instructors facilitate positive group dynamics, lead games and activities, participate in community service activities and teach the course curriculum. Leaders are expected to be role models to students to encourage personal growth and promote leadership development.
Beyond maintaining the health and safety of students and providing a supportive environment, additional duties include completing program paperwork, uploading blog posts and photos, managing travel logistics and program funds, and communicating with HQ. Flexibility, teamwork, the ability to multi-task, and provide a fun and cohesive community are all vital. Contract length varies from two to three months starting in late May through early to late August.
- Master’s or PhD in a related field of study required.
- Experience teaching marine science and creating a constructive learning environment at the high school or college level.
- Ability to teach college level marine science courses, including hands-on academics, labs and field survey techniques.
- Experience facilitating a group and understanding group dynamic concepts.
- Passionate about mentoring and motivating students and cultural learning.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the desire to act as a positive role model.
- Good decision making skills, flexibility, and the ability to think on your feet and adapt to changing environments while maintaining the safety and health of all students.
- Good physical health and stamina to actively participate and encourage students throughout program duration.
- Success working in team settings.
- Able to attend our staff training in Raleigh, NC in early June.
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of successfully leading a program in addition to teaching marine science academics.
- Experience with the activities included on the program preferred. Activities may include snorkeling, hiking, sea kayaking, camping and SCUBA diving.
- International travel and trip leading experience preferred.
Hear what Broadreach marine science instructors and students say about our programs: marine science video
To apply: submit your resume and availability to www.broadreachstaff.com