Director, Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System (CeNCOOS)
The Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System (CeNCOOS) is seeking a creative and entrepreneurial Director to lead the collaborative and chart a path for a sustainable future. CeNCOOS is one of three west coast, and 11 national, ocean observing collaborations (“Regional Associations”) established under the US Integrated Ocean Observing Systems (U.S. IOOS®) and operating with support from NOAA’s IOOS Office. The collaborative provides sustained and coordinated measurements, model nowcasts and forecasts, and integrated products to inform decisions about our regional ocean.
The Director reports to the CeNCOOS Governing Council and its Executive Committee, and provides progressive leadership and management to a staff of three professionals. Funding for the position is dependent on individual performance, annual approval of a federal budget for Regional Associations within the U.S. IOOS, and successful fundraising from State, Federal and Private sources.
The CeNCOOS program office is hosted by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) located in Moss Landing, California, and the Director is an employee of MBARI. Annual reviews are conducted by the host institution with input from the CeNCOOS Governing Council. Salary will be commensurate with experience. MBARI offers a generous benefits package.
Leadership and management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, integrity and transparency.
- Work with the Governing Council to support strategic and financial decisions.
- Provide organizational leadership to expand operational capacity and capabilities
Fundraising and development
- Develop and maintain strategic and business plans to advance and expand sustainable programmatic funding.
- Facilitate expansion of member collaboration opportunities.
- Deploy leadership skills to engage public and private entities as financial partners in CeNCOOS development and operations.
Partnerships and communications
- Deepen existing partnerships and cultivate new partnerships with state and federal decision-makers, scientific community, and stakeholders.
The successful applicant must have proven leadership and relationship management experience including:
- An advanced degree in an ocean related discipline or business / institutional administration and at least five years of management experience, a track record of leading an outcomes-based program or organization, specific examples of operationalized strategies that have led to progressive organizational/program development.
- A track record of excellence in program or organization management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high performance teams and manage a complex multi-million-dollar budget.
- Marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with California, West Coast and federal ocean management and policy.
- The ability to take adaptable and innovative approaches to partnership and funder development.
Desired skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Sufficient understanding of ocean observing technologies, infrastructure, systems and data management to manage and expand CeNCOOS.
- Flexibility to travel and represent CeNCOOS at state, regional, and national meetings.
- Experience with and understanding of Integrated Ocean Observing Systems and the governance, technical and operational role and goals of the Regional Associations.
- Experience developing creative approaches, tools, and data services for using scientifically motivated ocean-observing measurements in the service of management.
- Functioning effectively with an elected governing program body.
Interested individuals should submit an application package consisting of 1) cover letter; 2) a two-page (maximum) statement of qualifications, and 3) resume or CV.
MBARI is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. MBARI considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or covered veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
For more information: http://www.cencoos.org/about/news/2017/job-announcement-cencoos-director