2013 Public Policy Forum – Economies of a Changing Ocean
Each year, the Consortium for Ocean Leadership hosts a day-long public meeting that facilitates ocean policy discussions with representatives from Congress, the federal agencies, industry and the academic research community.
This day-long meeting is attended by Presidents, Deans and Directors from ocean research and education institutions from around the country, other external stakeholders, and Members of Congress and their staff. It provides an opportunity for collaboration and discussions on issues of national importance to the ocean advocacy community.
Ocean Leadership’s Annual Public Policy Forum
The Economies of a Changing Ocean
March 6, 2013, 9am – 5:45pm, Reception 6-8pm – Russell Senate Office Building, Room 253
Reserve Officers Association Building
On Wednesday, March 6, Ocean Leadership held its annual Public Policy Forum at the Reserve Officers Association Building on Capitol Hill. This year’s theme is the economies of a changing ocean and featured 3 panels with various speakers from around the country and remarks by Members of Congress, including Senators Begich and Murkowski. The topics discussed include the economic impacts and science requirements for mitigating coastal inundation, the transforming Arctic and ocean acidification.
All photos by Will Ramos / Ocean Leadership – Click here to view the entire gallery on our Flickr page.
9:00 AM – Breakfast
9:30 AM – Welcome Remarks – Bob Gagosian, President of Ocean Leadership
10:00 AM – Representative Alan Lowenthal (D- CA 47)
10:15 AM – Coastal Inundation Threats to our Nation’s Economy and Security
- Sherri Goodman – Moderator – CNA
- Larry Atkinson – Old Dominion University
- Margaret Davidson – NOAA’s Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management
- Frank Nutter – Reinsurers Association
11:45AM – Rear Admiral Jonathan White (Oceanographer of the Navy) – Update on US Navy’s Climate Change Task Force Activities
12:15 PM Lunch
1:15 PM – Senator Murkowski (R-AK) – Recipient of Ocean Leadership’s Admiral James D. Watkins Award
1:45 PM – Ocean Acidification Impacts on Sustainable Seafood Production
- Mark Abbott – Moderator – Oregon State University
- George Waldbusser – Oregon State University
- Libby Jewett – NOAA’s Ocean Acidification Program
- Mark Wiegardt – Whisky Creek Shellfish Hatchery
- Catherine Barrett – Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard
3:15 PM – Break
3:45 PM – Senator Begich (D-AK) — Recipient of Ocean Leadership’s Admiral James D. Watkins Award
4:00 PM – Representative Rob Wittman (R-VA 1)
4:15 PM – Economic Opportunities and Impacts in a changing Arctic
- John Farrell – Moderator – U.S. Arctic Research Commission
- Brendan Kelly – White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Frank Herr – Office of Naval Research
- Bill Mowitt – Congressional Fellow, Senator Begich (D-AK)
5:45 PM – Closing Remarks and Adjourn – Bob Gagosian, President of Ocean Leadership
6:00 PM – Reception – Senate Russell Office Building, Room 253
A printable agenda can be found here.
Past Public Policy Forums:
- 2012: The Science of Ocean, Coastal and Great Lakes Restoration. The Summary Report of this 2012 Public Policy Forum can be found here.
- 2010: This forum was focused around the President’s impending National Ocean Policy and offered a valuable opportunity to engage in dialogue with speakers on the three panels: Sea-Level Rise, the Arctic, and Marine Spatial Planning. View the 2010 Public Policy Forum Summary Report (in Adobe PDF format). Click here for photos from the event.