NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration & Research (OER) is soliciting proposals for ocean exploration in waters under U.S. jurisdiction, including the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), and areas mapped by, or of interest to, the U.S. Extended Continental Shelf (ECS) Project. Presently, important marine habitats and living and non-living resources are neither fully explored nor characterized. OER’s intent is to address these knowledge gaps and support growth in the Nation’s Blue Economy by soliciting ocean exploration proposals that focus on:
1. Discovering microorganisms, sponges, corals, and other organisms with biopharmaceutical or biotechnical potential;
2. Acquiring baseline ocean environmental information to better inform decision-making where future ocean energy development or critical mineral extraction may occur;
3. Finding and characterizing shipwrecks and submerged cultural resources that played a role in America’s past ocean-based economy (e.g., transport, trade, warfare, etc.) and could inform decisions on future seabed activities and potential environmental impacts.
The deadline for the pre-proposal submission is 5:00 pm EDT on July 26, 2018. Full proposals are due at 5:00 pm EST on November 15, 2018.
Quick Links pertinent to this funding opportunity include:
- OER FY19 Notice of Funding Opportunity: As posted on Grants.gov. The NOFO identifies the priority themes, provides instructions on how to apply, and has other useful information. Please read carefully and comply with all requirements.
- Funding Opportunity Cover Sheet and Accompanying Instructions: This section contains the required online cover sheet form in pdf format and accompanying instructions. The Funding Opportunity Cover Sheet is submitted along with the pre-proposal and full proposal and is required for both.
- Environmental Compliance Questionnaire for NOAA Federal Financial Assistance Applicants: The questionnaire provides federal financial assistance applicants and NOAA staff with a tool to ensure that project and environmental information is obtained as required under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Full Proposal Budget Guidance: Applicants must use the format provided in this document to create their budget tables.
- Data Management Plan Template: This section contains information on the NOAA data sharing and publication policy. All full proposals must include a data management plan adhering to the template.
- Frequently Asked Questions: This is a list of frequently asked questions pertaining to OER’s 2019 FFO Announcement of Opportunity.
This announcement may also be found online at https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/about/funding-opps/welcome.html.
Contact Information for OER Federal Funding Opportunity
OER Federal Funding Opportunity
1315 East-West Highway, SSMC3, Room 10210
Silver Spring, MD 20910