The MATE Center and the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS) are pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for the 2018 MATE/UNOLS long-term (approximately six-month, subject to funding) internship through January 17, 2018 3pm Pacific Time. Please share this with undergraduate students or recent graduates from an undergraduate program who you think would be interested and qualified. Applicants must be ready to enter the job market in the field of marine technology with academic studies complete or near complete. This is an incredible opportunity to work onboard a research vessel and be exposed to a wide range of technology and equipment. Flyers are available by contacting Nandita Sarkar, MATE Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 MATE/UNOLS Long-term Internship
Full Description: This spring/summer (approximately mid-March to end-September 2018; subject to funding), the MATE Center and the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS) fleet will sponsor one marine technical internship hosted jointly by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Scripps Institute of Oceanography (SIO) and STARC (Ship-based Science Technical Support in the Arctic). The selected intern will be hosted mainly onboard research vessels belonging to the WHOI and SIO fleet and USCGC Healy. The intern will work with marine technicians on shore and at sea, learning how to operate and maintain a variety of scientific and navigational equipment in support of shipboard scientific research. The internship will begin in Woods Hole, MA. The exact schedule through September will be determined later, but will involve work on UNOLS and USCG vessels and at on-shore facilities. Internship projects will be dependent on the funded science but previous interns have worked on cruises to support science ranging from chemical oceanography, marine biology, GIS/bathymetric surveys (seafloor mapping), geological studies, work with ROVs and much more! The position will last approximately six months, but is dependent on funding. The intern will receive a stipend of $500 per week, reimbursement for travel expenses, and on-station housing while ashore.
For more information about marine technician careers, please visit http://www.oceancareers.com/2.0/career_description.php?career_id=62 .
For more specifics on a Research Vessel Marine Technician, see Steve Hartz’s profile here: http://www.oceancareers.com/2.0/display_profile.php?profile_id=40&action=display.
MATE internships focus on technology and scientific support of marine research rather than the academic research. This internship specifically aims to help recruit and train a new marine technician for the US Academic Research Fleet. The MATE Center encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, or age.
– Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
– Applicants must be close to graduation or recently graduated (less than 2 years) with an Associate or Bachelors degree from an accredited US educational institution.
– Applicants must be US citizens. A valid US passport will be required for the internship but may be applied for after the internship offer is made.
– Past MATE summer interns are eligible to apply!
– Applicants must ready or soon-to-be-ready to enter the job market in this field with academic studies complete or near complete.
– Demonstrated sea time is highly desirable.
To apply, please visit: https://www.marinetech.org/prospective-students/ and scroll down to “How do I apply” to complete the online application and submit your supporting documents.
REQUIRED supporting documents include:
* A cover letter describing your ideal internship, career goals, why you are interested in becoming a marine technician, and skills / academic background
* Your current resume
* Your unofficial transcript
* At least one letter of recommendation from an instructor, academic advisor, or employer (ideally, we prefer a letter from an instructor in a related course AND a letter from an employer).
Deadline: Application deadline with all supporting material, including letters of reference: January 17 2018, 3pm PST.