The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, primarily through the MTS President however, the Executive Director must also include the entire Board on matters critical to member interests, the organization and the fulfillment of its mission. The Executive Director will use the Society’s Strategic Plan and Implementation Plan as guidance. Serving as an ex officio, non-voting member of the Board, the Executive Director works to ensure the Board and Society operate in a highly functional, efficient and effective manner. As the chief of staff, the position has responsibility for managing all MTS employees and the overall execution of Board policies. The Executive Director has immediate responsibility for ensuring that all the MTS Policies are followed and that best practices are adopted for the effective operation of the headquarters function. The Executive Director serves as the spokesperson for MTS in internal relations as well as some external relations as delegated by the President. The position presently supervises a full-time staff of approximately four, additional contractors and an annual budget in excess of $1.5 million.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Builds and maintains the Membership of MTS
• Develops and submits to the Board for approval an Annual Operating Budget
• Using the MTS Implementation Plan as guidance the Executive Director informs the Board of Directors on issues, developments and actions, following up on and implementing Board decisions and communicating its decisions and directions to staff
• Works with the Board on MTS’ strategic planning process, monitors and reports on progress and facilitates an annual review, identifying future trends affecting the field
• Oversees the creation/implementation of communications/membership marketing strategies to attract new members and enhance the value of membership to retain existing members
• Initiates for consideration, and upon Board direction (per the MTS Engagement Policy), maintains and develops relationships with appropriate associations, societies, organizations, agencies and coalitions, ensuring at all times that alliances have a clear purpose and a specific range of activities
• Serves as spokesperson for MTS as directed by the President and Board of Directors
• Promotes a positive image for MTS with the public and in the marine technology field, positioning MTS as a leader
• Maintains proactive communication and positive relationships with MTS Sections and Professional Committees
• Hires and supervises all staff, providing leadership that sustains increased customer service, effectiveness, productivity, entrepreneurial thinking and teamwork on MTS staff
• Conducts annual reviews of staff and tracking of progress of the individual in concert with the MTS Implementation and Strategic plans.
• Ensures efficient and cost-effective management of MTS office, staff and contractors.
• Provides timely and accurate reporting of financial information to the Board of Directors and the membership according to policies set by the Board
• Leads the annual budget preparation and reporting
• Works with the accounting staff and Treasurer, responsible for development of the annual financial budget
• Oversees publication of the “MTS Journal” and “Currents” newsletter and ensuring an updated, informative and user-friendly website for the society
Measures of effectiveness
• Increased MTS Membership and Membership retention; Visible progress in the implementation of a membership development, retention and enhancement program
• Improved operational and financial performance of MTS meetings, conferences, and other individual events (e.g. TechSurges, workshops, breakfasts, etc.)
• Expanded range of MTS’ strategic and operational relationships, making other organizations aware of where it is going and inviting their support and collaboration
• Increased specific member benefits and service offerings
• Association experience, especially with a technical professional society, is required.
• Proven management skills of a small dynamic organization are required.
• Leadership qualities and demonstrated success at increasing membership and growth are required.
• Bachelor’s degree is required, graduate degree preferred.
• Experience in marine technology or related field preferred.
• Success in strategic planning and implementation very helpful, as would be a proven track record in marketing and business plan development and execution.
• Public speaking, communications and outreach experience and success are highly desirable.
• Ability to travel required.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume and three (3) professional references to Ms. Kevyan Ann Sly, Acting Executive Director via email firstname.lastname@example.org.