Ocean Sciences Educators’ Retreat (OSER)
Ocean Leadership surveys member institutions to gather data on recruitment, admissions, and retention from the nation’s leading ocean science and technology graduate programs. The data are subsequently compiled and discussed at a biennial Ocean Sciences Educators’ Retreat (OSER) for graduate deans and other educational administrators.
The most recent OSER was held in October 2016 host by Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, LA. Deans, educators, members of the federal agencies, and members of industry were invited to come together to address pressing issues in ocean sciences education, specifically discussing the current landscape of professional skills training for graduate students and identifying future workforce development needs.
- Oceanography released a special issue on Graduate Education in the Ocean Sciences in March 2016. The issue highlights the challenges and opportunities in the current graduate ocean science education climate. Data collected from the Ocean Science Educators Retreat surveys provides a historical background in “The Ocean Science Graduate Education Landscape: A 2015 Perspective.” The full issue available here.
- OSER partnered with the American Geosciences Institute (AGI) on their April 2013 Currents Newsletter! The article focuses on female degree rates in the geosciences. View it here.
- The results of the preliminary survey on graduate training in professional skills have been published in Oceanography magazine! Check it out here.
Documents from OSER 2016:
- Ocean Sciences Educators’ Retreat 2016 Executive Summary and Minutes (coming soon!)
- OSER History
- AGI – How Are We Preparing Geoscience Graduates for Entering the Workforce?
- TOS Data on Graduate Training
- NOAA Data on Education Programs
- OSER Graduate Training in Professional Skills Data
- MTS – Blue Economy Workforce Development
- MIST/MSET – Perspective on Workforce Landscape
- OSER Review of Actions
- OSER 2016 Graduate and Faculty Data
Documents from OSER 2014:
- Demographics of Ocean Science Graduate Programs
- OSER 2014 Faculty Data
- OSER Trends in Marine Science Degree Completions
Documents from OSER 2012:
- A Preliminary Survey on Graduate Training in Professional Skills (DRAFT)
- Ocean Sciences Educators’ Retreat 2012 Executive Summary and Minutes
- Breakout Session 1 Summary
- Breakout Session 2 Summary
- Characteristics of Graduate Programs in Ocean Sciences
- OSER 2012 Faculty Data
- Three Decades of Data Collection on Graduate Education
Successful Programs Panel Presentations:
- Growing Hispanic/Latino Enrollments at TAMU
- MPOWIR: Mentoring Physical Oceanography Women to Increase Retention
- Professional Development Programs for the Marine, Earth, and Environmental Scientists
Documents from OSER 2010:
Post-Meeting Minutes and Actions:
- Engaging Underrepresented Minority Students in the Ocean Sciences presentation
- SEA: Creating Access and Opening Doors of Opportunity presentation
- Ocean Sciences Graduate Education Profile presentation
- How the COSEE Network Can Help Improve Minority Representation in the Ocean Sciences presentation