Opportunity: Director of Development, Ocean Leadership
The Consortium for Ocean Leadership is pleased to announce the search for a Director of Development. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. The position will report to the President and CEO.
The Director of Development is responsible for leading the organization’s development operation and for creating and maintaining active and productive relationships with board members, donors, and prospects. S/he will develop and implement a coherent, comprehensive development strategy and lead the organization in soliciting, securing and sustaining donors. In addition, the Development Director will working across the organization to support the development needs of existing programs, and cultivate and steward donors and sponsors for new programs, initiatives, and advocacy efforts on behalf of our members.
Fundraising and Development Function
- Create annual development strategy and implement and manage all fundraising activities including annual giving, special project campaigns, and other Ocean Leadership-related solicitations.
- Cultivate new donors and maintain existing donors through personal visits, phone calls, electronic communications, special events, and other communications vehicles.
- Identify proposal opportunities, and lead and support technical staff and program teams in proposal development.
- Track federal proposal deadlines and work with Ocean Leadership Finance & Admin team, Principal Investigators and program leads to ensure timely government grant submission.
- Organize donor/prospect events and follow up as needed, including assessing the return on investment for each event to inform planning processes for future events.
- Integrate a communications strategy with overall development plan.
- Create and implement a development training plan for Ocean Leadership staff, trustees, and volunteers.
- Conduct prospect research and develop profiles as needed.
- Create or adapt and maintain office and data systems, such as Salesforce, to support all Development projects and operations.
- Ensure donor and gift record-keeping. Oversee the management of databases and all records, files, and gift processing.
- Manage pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs.
- Advise CFO on unrestricted budgeting for development/fundraising activities.
- As part of the senior leadership of the organization, advise the CEO on organizational strategy and priority setting as it pertains to institutional advancement.
- Perform other tasks as assigned in support of the mission, vision, and objectives of the organization.
Board of Trustees Relations
- Coordinate with the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees and develop strategies to initiate and meet aggressive fundraising goals.
- Assume responsibility for all Development reports to the Board and attend Board meetings.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and managing successful development operation including annual giving, major gifts, foundation and institutional giving.
- A Bachelor’s degree, plus a minimum of seven years professional fundraising experience, preferably in a scientific or environmentally focused nonprofit or a higher education institution.
- Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, volunteers, and program and administrative staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as a leader and as part of a team. Strengths in team building, delegation including a willingness to communicate openly, listen well, learn from others, and lead through persuasion.
- Familiarity with the ocean sciences and Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credentials a plus.
- Flexibility to attend events after regular business hours and ability to travel as needed.
To apply, please forward cover letter, resume, salary requirement, and any other relevant application materials to email@example.com with the subject line, “Development Director”. Materials may also be mailed to Human Resources, The Consortium for Ocean Leadership, 1201 New York Avenue, NW, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20005.
About the Consortium for Ocean Leadership
Our vision is a global society that views its own well-being as intimately connected to the ocean.
Ocean Leadership is a Washington, D.C. nonprofit organization that represents 89 of the leading public and private ocean research education institutions, aquaria and industry with the mission to shape the future of ocean science and technology. In addition to our advocacy role as the voice of the ocean research and education community, Ocean Leadership manages a variety of community-wide research and education programs in areas of ocean observing, ocean exploration, and ocean partnerships.
Ocean Leadership was formed in 2007 by the merging of the Consortium for Oceanographic Research and Education (CORE) and the Joint Oceanographic Institutions (JOI), two premier ocean science organizations with more than 40 years of history representing the scientific community and managing shared facilities. Through this merger, a unified voice for oceanographic research and education was created. Today, Ocean Leadership continues to unite the oceanographic community through advocacy, program management, and facilitation of research efforts between and among our member institutions and our federal, industrial, and international colleagues.
Located in the heart of our nation’s capital, Ocean Leadership offers a collegial work environment and excellent benefits. To learn more about Ocean Leadership, please visit www.oceanleadership.org .